Publishing a DMARC record is the first step in deploying DMARC.
To create a DMARC record, use the dmarcian DMARC Wizard. When you have the text of your DMARC record at your fingertips, follow these steps:
- Log in to your DNS management console.
- Navigate to the domain where you’ll be publishing a DMARC record.
- Most DNS management consoles will ask for:
- Hostname: this should be “_dmarc”. NOTE: the leading “underbar” character is required!
- Resource type: this is “TXT”, as DMARC records are published in the DNS as TXT resources.
- Value: this is the DMARC record itself, of the form “v=DMARC1; p=none; rua=…”
- Save and you’re done.
The results of doing the above will allow email receivers to query the DNS for your DMARC record at a location of “_dmarc.your-domain.com”.